Monday, October 20, 2014

Is the Artist alive in you?

 “When the artist is alive in any person,

whatever his kind of work may be, he becomes an inventive, searching, daring, self-expressive creature. He becomes interesting to other people. He disturbs, upsets, enlightens, and opens ways for better understanding. Where those who are not artists are trying to close the book, he opens it and shows there are still more pages possible.”
Robert Henri


I will do a comparison today of self portraits between Henri's and my own. - yeah, I have nerves of steel. lol


Self Portrait, 1903, oil on canvas
Notice the darkness of Henri's work, allowing the light on his face to POP! See the redness of his flesh and his mustache (which appears a notable different than the hair of his head) What an intense yet mystical  fellow he appears to be .












Pam Hartfield, Self Portrait, 1999,
Oil on Canvas
 Now look at the bold light in mine that does not allow for the light in my face to pop...I think I have just taught myself a lesson. Technically the painting works but can you imagine how the blond hair and pink lips would bounce off of the canvas had I used a darker blackgreen background? Green being a direct compliment of red this could have been a showstopper for me. 

How sad it is to see my mistakes.  Yet...exciting that I have kept my mind open enough to learn proving the artist is still alive and kicking in me!










Now I have set my mood for my next work and I do believe Henri will be my muse!! I wonder what he would think about that?
Happy painting y'all...

Got something to add then let me remind you comments are begged for and really wanted.

 

 





1 comment:

  1. I have NO artistic or creative ability - always impressed by talent in others! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting: