Thursday, December 23, 2010

Robert Henri - "The Art Spirit"

The art Spirit - Robert Henri
"We are not here to do what has already been done."

"Know what the old masters did. Know how they composed thier pictures, but do not fall into the conventions they established.  These conventions were right for them, and they are wonderful.  They made their language.  You make yours.  They can help you. All the past can help you."

 What a statement! ... and as an artist I can really appreciate it too.  This is truly what I believe.  I like to paint outside the box most of the time.  One thing I always hated about art class was a paint along. I despise doing them.  I really don't get off doing what someone else has already done.  I want to do my work not yours.  I know I am making sense to a lot of artist. 

Merry Christmas ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: