Thursday, December 30, 2010

Robert Henri - "The Art Spirit"

The Art Spirit - Robert Henri


"For an artist to be interesting to us he must have been interesting to himself.  He must have been capable of intense feeling, and capable of profound contemplation."




contemplation  (ˌkɒntɛmˈpleɪʃən, -təm-)-n,  
As noted in The World Dictionary
1. thoughtful or long consideration or observation
2. Compare meditation spiritual meditation esp (in Christian religious practice) concentration of the mind and soul upon God
3. purpose or intention 
What a strong statement.  Think about it.  We as artists must create with a purpose or intention to portray our subject in its true form, sometimes distorting reality to provoke meaningful thought. I personally give thoughtful consideration to my subject.  I know where I want to go with my painting and try my dare level best to take you there with my finished product.

Did I take you into the thick of the forest to stop and wonder who may have been there before you?  If not, I miss my mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: