Friday, January 28, 2011

Are you finished yet?

Grab My Button look right of the page
One must begin to ever finish. Isn't that the truest statement you ever heard? I suggest you begin at the beginning;the first feeling you felt inspired by.  A look on a persons face, a sunrise, a shadow at midday, an ocean view in all of its magnificence. Remember the feeling upon awaking to the dawn on a new day;you will pull from this feeling to finish your work. 
The feeling is fleeting so you must work swiftly.  I know I am holding my feeling if my cigarette burns in the ashtray.  This means I have set my tone correctly; color values are harmonizing, my brush strokes are precise and I am accomplishing what I set forth to do. I usually listen to music that matches the feeling it helps keep me in that frame of mind.
 "Do some great work, Son!  Don't try to paint good landscapes.  Try to paint canvases that will show how interesting landscape looks to you ... your pleasure in the thing. Wit.
There are lots of people who can make sweet colors, nice tones, nice shapes of landscape, all done in nice broad and intelligent-looking brushwork.
self-portrait-or-desperate-man-gustave-courbet
Courbet showed in every work what a man he was, what a head and heart he had. 
Every student should put down in some form or other his findings. .... What he leaves is so much for others to use as stones to step on or stones to avoid. " Robert Henri - The Art Spirit
( Jean Désiré Gustave Courbet (10 June 1819–31 December 1877) was a French painter who led the Realist movement in 19th-century French painting. ...) 
Remember this and then enough said for the day. "If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right." P. Cunard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: